This complete guide to the wonderfully diverse world of small plates offers practical ways to make spreads that can be sumptuous or streamlined
Making a satisfying array of small plates at home is all about putting the right pieces together. Balance hearty anchor dishes with creative nibbles and bites such as gussied up vegetables, crispy bar snacks, dressed-up cheeses, and more. This collection of recipes is achievable and low-stress, with helpful make-ahead advice and presentation tips. A robust introduction offers suggestions for pairings, taking ease, prep, flavor, and serving temperature into consideration. Planning is key, which we show you how to do with our Game Plan strategies with every recipe, and a useful appendix to turn to when you need.
- Bar snacks: For cocktail parties, make small, satisfying morsels such as Smoky Shishito Peppers with Espelette and Lime
- Nibbles, Little Bites, Heartier Bites: Pair hearty dishes like Pinchos Morunos with littler bites like Fennel, Orange, and Olive Salad, Stuffed Pickled Cherry Peppers, and Southern Cheese Straws, along with store-bought nibbles such as olives and cheese
- Fully make-ahead: Make many recipes (Pork-Ricotta Meatballs) a day or more ahead of your gathering for fussfree and efficient entertaining
- Perfect pairings: Balance fresh dishes like Scallops with Asparagus and Citrus Salad with rich Carciofi Alla Giudia
- One-bite sweet treats: End your evening sweetly with Chocolate–Lemon Truffles or Turkish Stuffed Apricots with Rose Water and Pistachios
Mix and match proteins, deconstruct salads, fry dumplings, make tempting dessert bites. Vegetable Pakoras with Shashlik and Spinach Squares? Yes, please.